People who begin eating more frequently during the day have probably heard about the implications doing so has on your metabolism. It is said in many dietary circles that eating smaller meals every three hours during the duration of your day can keep your metabolism up and active, which in turn means burning more calories at a higher rate. There are a few key foods and practices that do have scientific backing in helping speed up your metabolism to assist those individuals wishing to lose weight.
We will explore the myths and misconceptions about metabolic rate to better understand what is really working and what is more worthless trends.
Does Eating More Meals Increase Metabolism and Reduce Hunger Cravings?
Science really just doesn’t back this trend up. Eating more often may be able to reduce hunger cravings in the short term, but over long periods of time your body begins to adapt to the change in eating patterns and become dependent on the different caloric intake during those periods. This might result in a dependence on more calories to keep energy and glucose levels up in the long run.
The whole basis behind the idea of eating more frequently during the day is more than just the myth of metabolic rate change. Many people who have bought into the idea of six meals a day weight loss believe that the main reason this technique works in weight loss is to control overeating from extreme hunger cravings.
Here is where six meals a day compared to three might actually help. If you’re used to eating every six hours or so, you may experience a decrease in blood sugar and be susceptible to eating whatever you want. With little to no limitations regarding portions, this increase in caloric intake is a slippery slope. You could find yourself eating way too much without even realizing it.
How Much Should You Be Eating To Lose Weight
Many doctors and specialists will tell you that this really comes down to a basic understanding of caloric intake and energy expenditure. There are genetic factors that do come into play as well, but this general guide should help give a good estimate of how many calories you should be aiming for daily:
Bad Habits That May Slow Down Your Metabolism
Overeating And The Effects It Has On The Body And Mind
Feasting can be a lot of fun, but, unfortunately, stuffing yourself until you’re full is actually a suggested way to gain weight fast for those trying to put on a few pounds. Spreading out your eating may actually allow you to limit your intake better, but for people who do find themselves overeating often, there may be better ways to deal with portion control and calorie intake.
People overeat for plenty of different reasons. One person could use eating to cope with stress and anxiety while another might just have less of a desire to eat recommended portions for the purpose of weight management.
Portion control is hard if you fall into the habit of eating until you’re “full”. When that feeling of fullness keeps taking more and more intake to achieve you could find yourself in an uncontrollable spiral of eating more and more as time goes on. Likewise, if eating is a way to cope with anxiety and stress, some days might be worse than others and you may find yourself eating constantly.
If you find yourself in one of these situations, it’s best to try and nip the problem in the bud and seek help early on. The longer you wait the harder the cycle is going to be to break. If you are deep in a cycle of unhealthy eating habits, counseling or having an accountability buddy to help talk you through it can truly help. Introducing a light, natural, appetite suppressant can also help get you back to normal intake portions.
Types Of Food To Increase Metabolism Or Suppress Appetite For Weight Loss
- Coffee, Tea and other caffeinated products can help give you extra energy to work out. It also helps burn fat for energy. These are also great natural appetite suppressants and are great when your body just needs a little something until the next meal. It is important to note that in the long run caffeine can begin to deplete the adrenals which will eventually slow down weight loss.
- Protein and mineral rich foods like meat, fish, eggs, dairy and nuts require more calories to break down these more complex foods. These are all also fantastic appetite suppressing foods.
- Chili peppers and other spicy foods that have capsaicin have been known to have appetite suppressant properties. The chemical can also help you burn more calories. Spicy foods are also known to be great for cutting down hunger cravings.
- Beans and legumes are high in protein. These foods require more calories to break down.
- Ginger. Studies have shown that ginger in hot water burns more calories than drinking water alone. Ginger is also a natural appetite suppressant.
- Apple cider vinegar has been shown to increase sensations of fullness and has been seen to increase metabolic rate in animals.
- Water, especially cold water, requires calories to heat it up to body temperature. That means drinking cold water could be raising your metabolism for brief periods.
- Seaweed is rich in iodine which helps the thyroid regulate your metabolic rate.
Foods To Avoid To Keep Metabolic Rate Up
Try to avoid these foods if you are trying to lose weight or maintain your current weight. Many of these foods are high in calories and carbohydrates, but some have also been known to slow down the metabolism for some individuals.
Best Supplements to Increase Metabolism
- B Vitamins are a big part of having a fully functioning metabolism. They help metabolize carbs, proteins and fats.
- Vitamin D keeps your immune system at its best and has been linked to fighting depression. That means you'll have the mental energy and health to keep moving.
- Iron aids in carrying oxygen to the cells. This, in turn, increases the rate muscle cells can break down fats into energy
- Magnesium is used for many things in the body. One of those being energy production.
The Advantages To Skinny Up!® And Your Metabolism
If you read the long list of all natural ingredients that go into all of our amazing products, you’ll see that our products introduce everything your body needs to lower stress so that the body is able to consume stored nutrition at a higher rate. Our products also give you the energy needed to burn stubborn belly fat while actively cutting out cravings for foods that are detrimental to overall health. If you want to lose weight quickly while also supporting your metabolism and overall health, give Skinny Up!® products a shot today. You’ll wonder why you hadn’t jumped on board this amazing brand earlier!